Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Pretty Wooden Boxes

This week's project is a fun one that's good for both kids and adults. It involves taking plain wooden boxes and decorating them so that they become beautiful. The finished project can then be used to give gifts in, used to hold candies or chocolates, or just for decoration. Here's how to get started.

For this project, I started with two wooden boxes. One is a small one and the second one is just slightly larger. But you can use a box of any size - it all depends on what you want to use it for.

Next, I laid out some newspaper for easy clean up. Then, I used a foam paint brush to apply the paint. The best thing about foam brushes is that they make painting quick and easy. After I finished painting, I allowed the box to dry overnight.



The next day, I finished off the box by adding the embellishments. You can choose any size or objects to use for your embellishments. Keep in mind when you are choosing them that the embellishments really do set the theme of the box. In the picture showing the boxes that I decorated, you can see that I choose to add one large wooden embellishment to the smaller box. For the larger box, I choose to add a few metallic shaped butterflies. Both embellishments help to set a theme of Easter and spring.

After your embellishments have been added, the box is now ready to hold whatever you want it to. If you like, you can place some filling inside to prop up and cushion the objects the box will hold. One example of what to put in your box would be chocolates or candies to put out on the table.

Happy painting! Most importantly, enjoy your beautiful box and whatever it may be holding.


If you liked this project, you can find more FREE Project Ideas on my website. Try them out and leave a comment on my blog - I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment